- A review of the latest news in vaccines and potential pandemics, underscoring the need for more probing questions about vaccine safety and efficacy; vaccine trials; and the scientific evidence backing up current claims and recommendations. Financial motives behind the promotion of pandemics and the vaccines that go along with them also need to be carefully considered
- The bioterror germ lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta has had repeated problems with airflow systems designed to help prevent the release of infectious agents such as anthrax, dangerous strains of influenza, the SARS coronavirus, and monkeypox
- Earlier this year, a vaccine researcher at the Northern California Institute for Research died shortly after being infected with the Neisseria meningitides bacteria
- Renewed calls for fast-tracked pandemic bird flu vaccines are being put out in response to the publication of two studies detailing the successful mutation of the H5N1 virus into a more virulent, and airborne, strain
- A recent study brings the issue of highly questionable vaccine trial standards to the fore yet again. Last year, India halted HPV vaccine trials being conducted by PATH, a USA-based not for profit non-governmental organization funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, after four girls died and 120 suffered serious side effects. A study into the alleged ethics violations concluded that the studies should not have been undertaken, as it would be impossible to establish efficacy of the vaccine in the areas selected due to lack of registration and monitoring of cervical cancer cases in India.
Until next time,