Adrenal dysfunction is not widely recognized in the medical field. In fact, I have heard MDs say that this is not a real syndrome. There is a blood test that will check the ACTH hormone in the blood, but I can’t say that I have ever seen it on the labs we see from our patients. I have had one lady come in with Addison’s. Two very common symptoms of adrenal fatigue are very large pupils, and a persistent craving for salt. There are two other things that will contribute to enlarged pupils: anti-depressant Rx and recreational drugs.
As we discussed in a previous blog, the adrenal hormone cascade can adversely affect the Thyroid and other endocrine glands. We live in a very stress-filled environment. Everywhere you look there is drama: political, financial, familial, social. Drama is also created by adverse weather events: hurricanes, floods, and fires.
When we are over stressed for long periods of time, the adrenals need some help. We recently participated in FaceBook Live (HERE) Below are some nutrients that will help. Of course, you will do better with the help of a professional.
- Vitamin C 2-4 grams, but severely fatigued individuals may need 15-20g daily. Work with a professional if you need this type of dosing. You will need a formula that has both bioflavinoids and ascorbic acids in a 1:2 ratio.
- Vitamin E 800 IU daily
- Vitamin B5 1500 mg, B6 50-100 mg, and B3 25-50 mg daily
- Minerals: zinc, selenium, molybdenum, chromium, copper and iodine
- Herbs: licorice root, ashwagandha root, Korean ginseng root, Siberian Ginseng root
- Glandulars: For intermittent use only.
At the clinic, we can test for adrenal insufficiency via EAV testing, blood spot testing or salivary testing. If needed, we can hone in on the exact dosage of supplements you need. Yes, testing is expensive, but what is more expensive is buying products from a big box store that are not at a therapeutic level. You won’t notice any difference in how you feel, so you won’t be motivitated to take them. They will sit on your shelf, won’t do anything for you, and the money and time will have been wasted.
Health is expensive. Disease is more so. Invest in your future. Invest in your health.
Until next time,